Monday, September 22, 2014

Planting Date has Changed - and some other stuff

Saturday, October 4th beginning at 9:00 am. That's the new and official date of the lavender planting party. 

Don't you hate it when life gets in the way of your plans? I do. Not that I'm a control freak. At least I don't think I'm a control freak. And I know I can roll with things when I get thrown a curveball. I just like it when events go as planned. It rarely happens. Anyhoo - the date for planting has changed because life got in the way. But we are going forward and other than a week later, we are good.

And now for some other stuff:

Do you see it?

How about now?

Now?

No, I can't see it either. Phooey. I scattered a 50 pound bag of buckwheat on this field about six weeks ago in preparation for planting the lavender. Buckwheat grows quickly (and the bees love the flowers). A month from throwing the seeds in the dirt and beginning to water is plenty of time for the plant to mature and bloom. After that The Lovey was going to mow the buckwheat down and till it into the soil. Our soil DESPERATELY needs organic matter added to it. 'Green manure' is a way to do this.

Did the seed sprout? Yes it did. Did it grow? Yes it did. We got the first set of leaves on little plants on the whole field! And then...... this is what happened:



Deer. And what the deer left...


The turkeys finished up. So now I am watering weeds where the rows will eventually be made. 


Weeds and very few wisps of buckwheat. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment