Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Ruben and Johnny Show

Bloglovin: Just discovered it. In order to claim this blog as mine they say I have to put this link in, so here goes: Follow my blog with Bloglovin . And now onto the regular post!

 This is Ruben.
Inside the crawl space, peaking out of the dryer vent
Ruben is our contractor. He did NOT ruin our barn... he's the one making our garage the best room in the house. He works from about 7:30 am - 8:30 pm... or later. He's been here as late as 10:00 pm. He works Sundays. He worked on July 4th. Crazy, I tell you.

Ruben has a cast of characters a phone call away - electricians, HVAC guys, plumbers, construction crews. 
Johnny and Ruben
Most days it's just Ruben and Johnny.... and I call it the Ruben and Johnny Show. These guys are hilarious. They have known each other since they were kids. Ruben is definitely the 'ring master'. He listens to a variety of radio stations... I can usually tell who is in the garage just by the music that is playing. If it's classical rock, that means the electrician is here. Mexican polka songs - the HVAC guy. Country music - that's Ruben. But he listens to them all and knows all the songs. 

I can tell when things are going well and on schedule. Ruben sings from the top of his lungs - he belts out whatever is playing on the radio, or has a commentary about the song. He sings English songs in Spanish, Spanish ones in English, or he just sings. And then there is the 'encouragement' to Johnny... "Ah, come on Johnny. You can do it! Oh yeah!" or the "Oh Johnny, don't tell me I'm going to have to fire my best worker" or the "Johnny, we're going to hit it big! We're going to have more work than you can ever imagine". There are various words to these recurring themes and they are all said in jest. 


There is a lot of laughter and singing from the garage. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment