Monday, May 6, 2013

Happy Monday!

So life on the farm continues...

There are four chicks that hatched. I am really happy about the black one - that is Alice's daughter (or son, but I am optimistic and think 'hen'). Alice is the original hen that was given to us a year ago. She's a trouper, has been through a lot and is a consistent layer. That's what I want, bravery and consistency.

Going under Mama to keep warm

Do you see the little chick's feet?

It's interesting to see Trudy's body language - she has gone from sitting flat (when she was keeping the eggs warm), to squatting. She is keeping these little chicks warm, but isn't squishing them.


She's teaching them how to eat and drink.


And on the other end of the spectrum, we have turkeys. Wild turkeys all around us. There is one mama who is showing her babies around the farm. I think we have counted 8 turkey chicks. They hid really well in the tall brown weeds we have all over. I don't get to close as I don't want to scare her. I like that the babies around here. And here is a different pair.


What a beautiful bird he is. When he puffs out his feathers like this, there is a sound like a drum that accompanies it. It comes from his chest. Quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment